Eggplant parmesan is one of my absolute favorite recipes and making it in bite size form gives it that innovated twist. Not only is it easy to make, but it is just as enjoyable to eat! The recipe is quite easy to follow and it only takes about 40 minutes to complete!
I learned how to make classic Italian eggplant parmesan while I was studying abroad in Florence, Italy. I shared that recipe with you all before. I’m using pretty much the same recipe and making the eggplant parm into bite-sized pieces or muffins! I originally got the idea after seeing it on the Food Network.
Ingredients for Eggplant Parmesan Bites
- 2 Eggplants (peeled and diced into small pieces)
- 75 grams (1/3 cup) of Tomato Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons of Fresh Basil (or 1 Tablespoon Dried Basil)
- 35 grams (1/3 cup) + 2 Tablespoons of Freshly Grated Parmesan (more or less to taste)
- 200 grams (1 cup) of Mozzarella Cheese
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) + 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 8 Sheets of Frozen Phyllo Dough (defrosted)
- In a pan, heat up 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Toss in your diced eggplant and season to taste with salt and pepper. I typically add in some chili flakes for a bit of heat, but this is optional. Stir it often and until it gets golden brown. Keep in mind that eggplants absorb a lot of liquid so make sure there is enough olive oil in the pan.
- Once the eggplant is golden brown, remove from the heat and add in your tomato sauce, basil, along with the 35 grams (1/3 cup) of parmesan cheese. I typically use a bit more because I like my eggplant parmesan extra-cheesy.
- Lay out your phyllo dough and use the remaining olive oil to brush on top of each individual sheet. Layer each sheet of phyllo dough on top of one another until you have 4 layers, making sure to brush olive oil on the top of the final sheet. Cut into 12 squares and place each square in a muffin tray with the oil side down. Repeat this step with the remaining 4 sheets of phyllo dough.
- Take about 1 teaspoon of the eggplant parmesan filling and fill each cup. Divide the mozzarella between each cup and add to the top. Sprinkle some extra parmesan on top if you’d like – I always do.
- Preheat the oven to about 220°C or 450°F. Bake for about 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let the eggplant parmesan bites cool on a wired rack and serve warm!
If you want your eggplant parmesan bites to have a bit more of the filling in each cup, you can keep the ingredients the same and only use 4 sheets of phyllo dough, instead of 8. However, you will only have 12 bites total opposed to 24.
This recipe is super easy to make and I promise, it is totally worth it!
Let me know which eggplant parmesan recipe you prefer – the classic Italian one or the eggplant parmesan bites!